So, I bought a PS2, since they are cheap now, and I completely missed that (ongoing) era of gaming history. There is a a short list of highlight games for the PS2 that I want to progressively play my way through. At the moment, I’m playing:
- God of War – fairly easy on the default difficulty setting, but the environments are quite pretty, especially the camera work. The button mashing battles are fun. I feel like I’m about half way through it, based on the ‘tech tree’.
- We Love Katamari – amusing little game. Actually gets a little difficult after only a few levels.
- Disgaea – this Japanese tactical role-playing game is quite deep. The cut scenes slipped in to progress the story have some pretty amusing scripting and voiceovers, with that strange ‘immature kids mucking around while fighting a serious war’ feel that I got when playing Advanced Wars DS.
- ICO – the classic. Very pretty and emotive. I’m saving it for times when the house is quiet and I have extended stretches to become immersed in it, since it would be a waste to play it without getting the full atmosphere. Reminds me of something like the original Prince of Persia or Another World / Out of this World, but in 3D.
Here are a few more which I don’t have yet, on the wishlist:
- Gradius V
- Devil May Cry 3: Dante’s Awakening, Special Edition
- Devil May Cry
- Final Fantasy X (?)
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Okami (also on Wii … I may get that version instead)
- GTA: San Andreas
- Beyond Good and Evil (also GameCube .. almost bought it at EB Game, but they decided not to sell it to me because it was too scratched)
- Amplitude (?)
- Gran Turismo 4 (?)